homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:21:50 -0400

Rivels (or however you spell it) are a PA Dutch treat. They are just an egg noodle that is formed by drizzling the dough off a fork. No rolling or cutting.

Rivels
Eggs -- For potato soup, I usually use two. You may need more or less depending on amount you want to make.
Flour
Salt & Pepper

Beat eggs until just beginning to froth.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Mix in flour a little at a time until dough has some substance to it, but is still just runny enough to drip through the tines of a fork. Too little flour, and the noodles will be tiny and will more resemble egg drop soup (besides, you'll make a mess getting the dough from the bowl to the pot); too much and the dough will just sit on the fork. You'll get the feel for it. If you accidentally get too much flour, you can add a few drops of water, but try real hard not to. The texture changes when you add water. Still good, but I prefer without water.

Rivels only take a few seconds to cook, so they are put in after the soup is finished.
For potato soup (or any milk base soup), when the soup is heated to just below the simmer stage (serving temp), drizzle the dough into the milk a forkfull at a time. Stir between forksfulls. Wait about 30s - 45s after the last forkfull. Serve. Easy.

BTW if using fresh fennel in your potato soup, add the fennel after the last forkful and allow them to cook together the last little bit.

Wendy

Well there you go, I didn't know it was two different kinds. I just
thought I'd been using the seeds of the plant, and ignoring the root.
I am glad it is easy to grow, because I am The Black Thumb of Death. I
buy plants and half kill them and Roy has to hide them from me in the
office.

I don't know what you mean when you say rivels. Morels? Chevril? I can
see either in a potato soup.

Well, first things first, I'm going to start exploring fennel root
recipes, because they are all over the farmer's market right now.

Celia