homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:14:47 -0800

The easiest way to make tomato sauce and even paste, is to plop the whole mess into a BIG roasting pan (I use a huge, and I mean, huge, electric roasting pan) and let it go overnight. No muss, no fuss.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I suspect I have tried about every way to get tomatoes up off the
ground. This year and these tomatoes are just another experiment. So
far, looks good. This particular soil has had the heaviest application
of grass-leaf mulch over the years. Last year before I left I placed
about eighteen inches on it. Just one more strong piece of evidence
for the positive virtues of clean mulch.

In one of the main garden beds I have four tomatoes in cages. So
that's my safety net. I won't use a lot of tomatoes this year. It
probably does not make sense to freeze and haul tomato juice to
Phoenix for cooking down to sauce. Maybe some.

Which starts a new train of thought. Rising energy prices will create
motivation for new ways to reduce tomato juice to sauce. I have always
cooked it down in the winter so that the heat and humidity helped
house conditions. I have tried the technique of hanging it in a pillow
case and letting much of the water drip free, but I think it adversely
affects nutrients and flavor. The ideal is using a wood burner in the
winter.

Haven't got a wood stove or heater in Phoenix.

Now feeling even more sorry for urbanites than usual.