homestead - Re: [Homestead] Does this idea stink?

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Does this idea stink?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:34:04 -0500

This thing was custom poured, not prefab, probably when the house was built. The opening is roughly a 3 foot square lid about two feet away from the house and about six feet from the kitchen door. It's at least six feet deep, maybe a 10 foot square. The wall away from the house is perpendicular to the ground, but the wall opposite it slopes to somewhere under the house. The field line that once drained it's former function was clay pipe that collapsed (thus, the problem). As a container it appears relatively water tight (maybe good for a septic, not good for a cellar?). If it leaks, it is minimal as we tested our well when all this came to light and they told us there was not enough nitrogen in the sample to have been contaminated by the septic tank.

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:52:09 -0500