homestead - Re: [Homestead] Does this idea stink?

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Does this idea stink?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:10:01 -0400

On Jun 24, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:

Warren, if the drainage is good, what do you think about sterilizing
it with steam, then coating the inside with a non-permeable paint or
plaster?

I had both mildew in the cellar of my earlier house and a friend who was a microbiologist (for the department of Interior - working on the very strange organisms that could grow in lead and tin mine runoff areas). She told me that the only practical way to get rid of mildew was household bleach. Applied full strength and possibly repeated.

I'm not sure you can get that tank and its surrounding dirt hot enough with any steam treatment to do any good.

Note: the old septic tank abandoned last year here had to be, by health department regulation, crushed and filled in with dirt or the like. I'm now left with a sunken place at the rear porch steps that I need to fill in further.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180