homestead - Re: [Homestead] Politics

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Politics
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:11:28 -0400

On Jun 6, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Just look at the sidebar headlines today: Unemployment highest in 22 years,
record house foreclosures, stock market down 400 pts, corn and wheat at new
record highs, oil hit a record high of a few pennies below $140 a barrel.

These are deadly serious times and no candidate for the presidency is
addressing ANY of the major issues involved in any meaningful way. And then you want
to pour us a glass of cholesterol free Obama orange juice?

If political discussions are on the table on this list, then expect to have
items politique taken apart. If they are unwise or misinformed, expect that to
be said. If they fall through the cracks to the earnestly ludicrous, expect
that to be said as well.

And if someone is so attached to a political point of view or devotion to a
political icon that they cannot separate themselves from the critique of the
candidate's goings on, there's nothing I can do about that.

James

Yes. Yes. Yes. I agree. The world is going to hell in a handbasket. I agree absolutely. I agree that most politicians are scumbuckets and voting for one is much the same as voting for any other. I agree the times are deadly serious.

What I do care about is that more young people are involved in his campaign than at any other time in history, because they have not yet been jaded. I DO care that the foreign press is showing this guy off as a voice of change and that other countries are believing it. I do care that the general sheople see this guy as a change for good and that my neighbours and friends care about getting this guy elected because they want to live up to the hopes and dreams of the people of this country. It's not HIM, it's the idea of him.

Yes, that's optimism. Because I already know what you know, James, I am already THERE with you. But once we get there, then what? NOW what? I can take my ball home to the homestead and tuck myself in and keep myself laughing at morons from above the fray or I can keep doing *something*. I am watching the people around me thinking they can elect this guy and get change. They are expecting and I hope go on to hold him responsible in a way they haven't before, because they haven't been invested before. What else is going to make anything better than many many people becoming invested? He is attractive and accessible and most of his record isn't any more heinous than anybody else. So why not?

Now we dealt the hand we are played, and like it or not it's McCain or Obama. Not voting, not trying, that's not me. I choose to try.

James...you can't ask someone if they can be quoted as an example of a fool and not expect them to see it as a shot, eh?

Celia