homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:11:38 EDT

> >I've not tried that. What's the longest you seen them stay good in the
> ground?

That's a tricksty question. There are small patches all over the garden
tight with garlic 'scallions' where I failed to harvest the bulb all winter
and
each clove sent up a new stalk. So the bulb fades into the next phase of the
plant having never deteriorated a wit, so I'd say the longevity of garlic is
infinite - in the root meaning of the word as 'no discernable end'.

Those profuse garlic scallions are dug up, one can't pull them since the
tough roots are intertwined, they are chopped and dehydrated. Some of them I
dig
up and transplant much as one would transplant an onion slip and from these
I've gotten some of my biggest bulbs.

Yes, I'd say that too, 'like potatoes' in that where they want to be is in
the ground. But also like potatoes they will get a move on very early in the
spring. With potatoes, if you don't have some dug and stored, you will have
sprouted potatoes by early March and so you could have a potato gap. But
with
garlic, the green scallions are just as useful as the mature bulbs for all
purposes except perhaps roasting, so I never mind that they have sprouted.
Of
course, I still dig up the nicest bulbs for storage ... and roasted garlic.

About the potato gap ... I've got new potatoes the size of a quarter. Soon
.. oh so very soon!

James </HTML>