homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:38:52 -0400

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2008, at 8:30 PM, Robert Walton wrote:
>
> I always cut off that top stuff that looks like it would be for
> reproducing, so as not to take any energy away from the forming bulb
> in the ground. Some people eat it.

Same goes for onions, right? I thought I needed to cut off the green sprouts
or stalks developing on the onions. Went online and learned that it's too
late. It said I now have 'green onions' and even if I cut the developing
green stalk I'll still have a stem going down through the bulb and the bulb
won't grow much.

Have you all found that to be true? I wanted bulbs not green onions. The
online material said my onion sets were probably too large or perhaps had
already sprouted before planting and some of them did have tiny sprouts.