homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:57:38 -0400

> It can mean low fertility, low nitrogen, but on the other hand it can mean
> nothing.....

I really think that it's low nitrogen. I went out and threw a couple
of buckets of manure tea on the garlic. It rained 1/8 inch afterward,
so if it's that, should be good.

I manured the ground last fall and tilled in before I planted. I've
had problems all through the garden with nitogen this year. Pale
lettuce, corn, etc. I grew rye as a cover crop and tilled it in. I
think that it really is taking up the nitrogen in the soil as it
decays. The garlic, of course was not tilled this spring, but the area
around and up close to it was.

I've been sidedressing with manure and hitting things up with manure
tea all week. Makes a fast change from pale yellow to green and
growing. The garlic almost looks like it's been burned when it is
deficient according to the picture on that web page.

Rob - Va