homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor value: '50 Harvester H-4?

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor value: '50 Harvester H-4?
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:20:59 -0700

"The big farm tractor is an International McCormick W-4 model.....
It's in excellent running shape with a front plow and hydraulics...
I'm asking $1,500"

With good tires, few leaks, and if it starts and runs good that is a fair price. 1950 would be before fast hitch so if it has any sort of three point it will be either shop built or aftermarket. You say front plow, do you mean a loader or a blade? Those were built before front end loaders were common so they have light front ends. Check out the spindle and wheel bearings and tie rod ends. Parts are very available as it is based on the Farmall M. Its farming use was mostly heavy pulling for field work or running a baler or harvester. Good tractors for the time.

If I had my library available again I could look up the Nebraska tractor tests for weight, hp, and pull. I have several books on IHC products in storage.

Don Bowen KI6DIU