homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:08:45 -0700

>I am
certain that I am not the only one here who has a mini hardware store
on premises.

I always buy extra of the small stuff. Even with a short two mile trip they can add up. When I need say a 1/2 SAE nut I buy the box along with the lock washers and bolts. If I need a 1 in bolt I also buy the box of 3/4 and 1 1/2 bolts. Over a short time you have your own hardware store going. I also buy bulk screws from outfits like McFeelys. Again this saves many trips. I have a small collection in the trailer along with a small collection here and a much larger collection in storage.

Another way to save trips is buy online. I am a long time customer at Amazon plus most of my radio gear has come from online sources. You order and a few days later it shows up. Shipping costs are going up and will go up but sharing a tank of fuel among a truckload of deliveries is much cheaper than even one or two neighbors.

Don Bowen KI6DIU