homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective\scyth

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective\scyth
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:56:55 -0400

Lisa wrote:
...My husband actually tried the scythe last year, after the discussion James
led. We determined that the one we had hanging on the barn wall (for at
least a dozen years)
Lisa, is that perhaps an American-style scythe? They are murderous to use, in addition to the fact that the metal is a pain to work with (can't easily be sharpened in the field, needs wheel). What you want to work with (for any size job at all) is a European or Austrian scythe. Only places I know of that still sells those blades are Marugg (TN) and Scythe Supply. Maybe go to their webites and compare with your scythe?
needed to be sharpened more than it was. Husband almost
threw out his back in the process of using it, he never quite got the hang
of it,
American=difficult to learn right, European=much more intuitive movement, much easier on body, can do all day, pleasant exercise even if work! I have severe scoliosis (have lost 4" in height since age 20), 2 back accidents (auto, fall) that crushed vertebrae in lower and in lumbar spine and I can still fairly comfortably use my scythe for long periods, albeit with some care. One thing to pay attention to is to have a snath that has been adequately fit to one's body. Sharpening is easy, quick, done in the field with a handheld stone, and readily becomes a part of the very pleasant rhythm of the work. If you have an Ausrianan blade and a decently-fit snath and still aren't 'getting it', 10 minutes' observation/help from someone who successfully uses a scythe should do the trick...don't give up!
though if/when a gallon of gas becomes $10+ we'll have more
incentive.

The not-so-distant future is going to be very Interesting.

So true. I'm a-watchin'.....

Susan Jane, inside enjoying a badly-needed soaker; hopefully now some sprouting will occur out there.....