homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:29:21 -0400

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> It's interesting to see this play out from a homesteader perspective.
> Makes me kick myself for investing $7000 in a tractor a few years ago
> and not a horse. Seriously.

I don't want a horse, though we have land that could be re-fenced and a barn
that was previously used for horses (22+ years ago). When the day comes that
we seriously consider a horse it means we'll really be in deep, let's just
say, in deep stuff. We're closer this year to purchasing a good, used
tractor but wonder how much sense it now makes.

Believe it or not, we 'bush hogged' close to 6 acres (not flat) with a
regular push mower set on the highest setting just a month ago. Oldest son
loved it, he was 50% of the manpower that accomplished the task. t took a
couple of days but it got done. Same mower that we use to mow the couple
acre yard. The mower was cheap (compared to a lawn tractor or regular),
though it often requires a repair by mid-summer with the purchase of a new
push mower every four years or so when it can't be further repaired. Our
mowers would last longer but since it doubles as a bushhog, we're lucky they
last as long as they do.

My husband actually tried the scythe last year, after the discussion James
led. We determined that the one we had hanging on the barn wall (for at
least a dozen years) needed to be sharpened more than it was. Husband almost
threw out his back in the process of using it, he never quite got the hang
of it, though if/when a gallon of gas becomes $10+ we'll have more
incentive.

The not-so-distant future is going to be very Interesting.

Lisa