homestead - [Homestead] Tractor value: '50 Harvester H-4?

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tractor value: '50 Harvester H-4?
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:22:45 -0400

Folks,

Being new to tractors, I need advice.
The sellers of our new place have a tractor they'd be willing to sell us.
(It's been on the place for about 30 years, bought used back then.)

1950 McCormic W-4
Has a functional plow on front
Has power take off on back

"The big farm tractor is an International McCormick W-4 model.....
It's in excellent running shape with a front plow and hydraulics...
I'm asking $1,500"

Appears to have quite new main tires.
Has some leak of hydraulic fluid, but that does not scare me.
Since it has lived on the 19 acre place a long time, it's likely not completely worn out.

I have pictures I'll post or send to anyone.

Here are some things I don't know:
-What is a set of tires worth?
-Is the power take-off the same as widely used? (We'd likely look for other attachments over time.)
-Since it has a PTO, is it likely that it has a useable (standard) three point hitch?

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180