homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 06:56:46 -0400

> As American drivers groan over prices nearing $4 a
> gallon, the French are paying $8.67 for a gallon of super, compared to
> $7.10 in January, 2007. A gallon of diesel in French gas stations
> averages $8.54, up from $5.35 just a year ago. And in the U.K. diesel
> costs $11.50 per gallon, compared to around $3.90 in the U.S. Across
> the European Union, the average cost of a gallon of gas runs to about
> $8.70 — more than twice what Americans are shelling out to fill up.

I heard a financial talk show host that blames the price of fuel, at
least in part on the weak dollar. Almost never, do I hear anyone
blaming the poor value of the dollar on oil prices.

I know oil is traded in dollars, but the fact that most of ours comes
from other countries makes me think that the value of the dollar has
to play a large role.

It's interesting to see this play out from a homesteader perspective.
Makes me kick myself for investing $7000 in a tractor a few years ago
and not a horse. Seriously.

Rob - Va