homestead - Re: [Homestead] Housing Bailout Bill Creates National Fingerprint Registry

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Housing Bailout Bill Creates National Fingerprint Registry
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 13:05:55 -0400

On May 30, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

Maybe it would be smart to get fingerprints of all criminals, even as they are becoming criminals, not later.

If you have ever been in the military, your fingerprints are on file with the FBI and in recent years a DNA sample.

I was in the military, and later there was a reason to get another set of prints made and submitted.

Folks where I used to work (NIST) were involved with the development of fingerprint automated reading and classification systems. It turns out that it's not a simple thing to accomplish. A neighbor was involved in that effort for many years till he retired in the 1980's. Occasionally on those forensic tv shows or FBI case solving ones there is mention of a fingerprint match coming from the new automated systems that helps solve a crime, or a previously long-time-unsolved one.

Related factoid: It appears that zebras have unique stripe patterns and for folks who are familiar with the animals, can be told one from the other because of it.

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180