homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:27:39 EDT

> The editors and writers on this list have long since learned to adapt.
>
> I find that drinking beer helps.

-----------------------

I'll drink to that!

If anyone is tempted to ask "Beer helps with what?", they must soon or late
learn that beer is not transitive.

-----------------------

Along those lines, on the way from town there is one of those enlighted
convenience stores, half way to town in fact, that stock in a dozen or so
feet of
cooler space at least 70 different types of beer, most of it available by the
bottle. A week or so ago I was on my way home from a successful business
engagement and I stopped by said store. My hand was just about on the neck
of a
couple of brewskis when I stopped short. The price had gone up over on third
in
only a week!

A pox on that! Fuel, food, clothing, medicine, and education .. fine...
times are hard and things are bound to go up ..... but beer!!? This
apocalypitic recession has gone too far this time!

Haven't these people read Poor Richard's Almanac? "Beer is the proof that
God loves us and wants us to be happy." So, what?, God doesn't love us as
much
any more?

I made my way back sans-brewski to the homestead in an ever darkening mood.
Damn brewing company profits ... what lame excuse are they going to use ...
peak hops or something! But somewhere on that lonely highway I made a vow
St Arnold (patron saint of brewers, even in Cahleefohrneeah) that I would
never
again chafe under the bottle capper of Big Beer.

I went to the recesses of the basement and there amid the cobweb festooned
experimental jars of pickled gooseberries and marinated radish leaves were
two
dusty bottles of a batch of homebrew from many moons ago. It turned out to
be
the Black and Evil bew, so called because I negleted the malt and it darkened
into a sort of ... eh ... charcoal. But the beer was excellent, five years
ago. Beer doesn't age well like wine and it was still OK, but just OK, but
plenty good enough to inspire a snort of distain in the direction of the beer
companies or the universe, whichever, little odds.

So here on this day of the full moon I have taken vows in the order of St.
Arnold, the vows of poverty .... eh .... fermentation ... ah ... and
indulgence.
Yeah, that's the ticket!

You are all invited.

James