homestead - Re: [Homestead] We made an offer!

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We made an offer!
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 21:02:55 -0400

On May 8, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Gene GeRue wrote:

Roy
is your detail man. Maybe he will chime in

That would be me.

For the third time, how is the soil?

We don't have details on the soil. But the folks across the road had been shipping milk from their modest size dairy farm for a hundred years or so until some time ago. They still plant hay or corn or whatever. The whole area has been farmed for a long time, so we can assume that the soil can at least support something.

As to the land on our property: there is not a spring. There is a pond which I believe has been created in the last 10 or 15 years by simply digging the dirt out of it. The pile of dirt is still there as a mound nearby, and so we can discover more details without digging down a lot by having a look at that mound. The land is quite flat, but has a swale or broad ditch going in two directions from the pond. Apparently in Spring when the snow melts, the pond gets enough surface runoff to need a drain.

This property is located in a large mostly flat area to the north east of the southern tip of Lake Cayuga. The land is generally level in all directions for many miles. The lake is some 100 or 150 feet (or more) below in elevation.

If a private well, taste it, get the history and see if you can run it
dry with several garden hoses or whatever. Not the best time of the
year to discover a low water level, but still worth the effort.

The well is drilled and is located within the U shape of the house. It has a PVC casing extending above the ground, so we are advised to learn if it is steel below that somewhere (the joint if not done right can leak ground water into the well). We understand that the well has not failed and gives very good water. At yesterday's hose inspection, the water was not turned on, the place having been winterized last fall and not restored to operation before the inspection. (steps are underway to make sure it all works.) So, short of tasting the cup or two we got from the pressure tank, we were not able to taste the water or see if we could run it dry.

The property seems to have a dug well not far from the house. It is full of rocks just now, so I could not peer into it to see what the phreatic surface level is. I expect that it's not very far down, though.

Septic inspection is not a bad idea. Included in house inspection?

We are told that a septic tank pump-out and inspection is required (paid for by seller)>

Survey paid for by seller? Make sure the surveyor is state licensed.

I am not sure about a line survey. We certainly hope to get any deed- associated earlier survey.

Photos?

Many photos exist now. I took a bunch yesterday. I'll get them to Celia to put on her website as soon as we can.

Does anyone know much about a 1950 International Harvester H-4 tractor? (That's what the owner has used for 30 years, and we may explore whether or not he would like to sell it.)

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180