homestead - Re: [Homestead] the house

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the house
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 15:11:21 -0500

On May 10, 2008, at 12:42 PM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

Eh, I hesitate to put up the listing until we had a ratified contract.
I am still not sure we have one, I need to see what Roy comes up with
when he shows up sometime this afternoon. Apparently there's a roof
issue and I don't know whether he agreed to take it as-is or not.

The soil, I did not have it tested. It's in pasture, orchard grass and
fescue. I didn't see any signs of over-wet spots, or the worst of the
weeds that come up in overgrazed and sour land. I did see some
volunteers because it hasn't been kept down but that's easy to
rectify.

By volunteers, do you mean tree sprouts? In this frugal part of the world we prefer single-syllable words when possible. So, if by your three-syllable "volunteers" you mean young trees, here we would just say "sprouts." If beyond mower capability, one uses a "bush hog," what others might call "brush hog," but that uses one unnecessary letter.

The biggest drawback is no hardwoods, but the truth of the
matter is I'd really like to focus on renewable solar or wind *anyway*
and hey, Roy's an electrical engineer first and foremost and if we
can't figure that out we're doomed. It looks like the middle paddock
which was used as a run-in to the Morton barn has been overgrazed and
reduced to weeds. I might just make it a dry lot.

Seller pays survey, septic and water. We asked for and paid for a home
inspection, to include radon (which I ended up waiving, I'm not too
worried about that right now).

When I wrote the last edition of my book, that part of New York had no actionable incidence of radon according to government maps. Today, it appears they have changed their mind. Here is the appropriate map:
http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap/newyork.htm

We waived lead. One stupid thing I did
was to forget to ask for an appraisal contingency. I am so used to
that being covered by the financing contingency, which we did not
include in this contract, that I just forgot it and so did the
realtor. *eye roll*

In that case you are justified in not capitalizing the word realtor. Tell her/him I said so.

Anyway, I know we are right in line with the
comps because I did research them, so if we are off, it's not by much,
and I don't think we are anyway.

What's the typical time-on-market in that area?

It's 20 acres, +/-. Did I say that already?

It's okay; we know you are basically out of control right now and cannot be expected to have anything like a normal memory.

Oh man I cannot wait to live there. :)

See below.

Whoooohooo

Try to control yourself. I know it's hard, but in the case of real estate, DO NOT FALL IN LOVE UNTIL THE WEDDING! Be cold, analytical. Get the best deal possible. When the deed has recorded, then you can go wild and get completely out of orbit. Maybe even have a beer or six.

  • Re: [Homestead] the house, Gene GeRue, 05/10/2008