homestead - Re: [Homestead] We made an offer!

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We made an offer!
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:49:33 -0400

I can't have a better garden resource ... http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/ They are the local ag office! We are to the north, which is fossil and soil rich. It's good for veggies. What *I* am really excited about is THIS: http://www.sheep.cornell.edu/sheep/index.html

The prices vary dramatically, because as you can guess there is a huge disparity between town and gown. We're definitely town in this sense, but right on the edge. In twenty years this house will be worth double. The asking price on this house is $249,000. It's not grand at all. In pristine shape it would fetch more, but only just, because of the surroundings, faltering cattle farms. I think it was priced appropriately for the market but we went in under because you can't negotiate back down, you know?

Taxes in NY are high. I don't honestly remember what the taxes are on this place, but I did take note of the especially high ones...$5K and up and this wasn't one of them. I'm guessing in the 3's. I have no idea whether or not it is in current ag use, but it won't be hard for me to keep it there if it is. You surely must know I am not the brains in this outfit, right? I'm more of an Impressionist. : ) Roy is your detail man. Maybe he will chime in from the relative luxury of time off from being Super Dad...he's lounging around up there waiting for the home inspection. (Assuming our offer is accepted or negotiated out before 3 pm tomorrow.)