homestead - Re: [Homestead] We made an offer!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We made an offer!
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 20:22:39 -0500

On May 10, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

This property is located in a large mostly flat area to the north
east of the southern tip of Lake Cayuga. The land is generally level
in all directions for many miles. The lake is some 100 or 150 feet
(or more) below in elevation.

Looking on Google Earth, the location seems excellent.

We understand that the

well has not failed and gives very good water.

Considering the lake elevation and the topography, it is very likely that there is more than adequate water. The remaining issue is quality. A lot depends on acres-per-house-well ratio.

The property seems to have a dug well not far from the house. It is
full of rocks just now, so I could not peer into it to see what the
phreatic surface level is. I expect that it's not very far down,
though.

A sure sign that water is near the surface. Good for quantity. See if you can get the well driller's records.

I am not sure about a line survey. We certainly hope to get any deed-
associated earlier survey.

Straight boundary lines? That and level land makes it easy once you have the numbers and a starting point.