homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you the sunshine patriot?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you the sunshine patriot?
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:47:19 -0400

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Many of us feel strongly positive about our country. Many of us know
> its promise. Many of us can see how certain people are lying to us and
> hurting our people and our country. I am never going to stop
> complaining about that. I think it is unpatriotic to be quiet.

I've been in a bad mood about our country since the Supreme Court 'choose'
our current President and we learned voters were disenfranchised. That was
going on 8 years ago--which is a long time to feel disgruntled in general.

I might have 'got over it', moved on and felt better had the general results
from having had the second version of Bush as President been remotely
positive. But it hasn't been and it makes me grumpy just to think about it.
So I try not to.

When you consider how things are today (various larger issues and discussion
points regarding the U.S., many had on this list) it makes me feel sad,
extra grumpy and unpatriotic as well. It's not a good feeling, it has been a
struggle for me to be positive particularly when I consider a future for my
children.

I'm going back to staring at my beloved broccoli plants--that makes me
happy. And planting flower seeds and starting more veggies... those things
don't get me going in a negative frame of mind. I suppose that sounds
simplistic, but I can only take so much bad news.

Lisa