homestead - [Homestead] Are you the sunshine patriot?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Are you the sunshine patriot?
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:09:49 -0400

I turned on Jeopardy just in time to hear this quote..it was rather ironic in light of recent discussions about enlistment and patriotism.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
~~~
Thomas Paine, 1776

I think Thomas Paine got it, and I don't even think he was a Southerner. Perhaps the spirit of the Founding Fathers is felt more strongly in the South?

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky