homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 21:19:58 -0500

I expect that the crop will be shared with family. I will sell any
extra that doesn't get canned or frozen or eaten fresh. I find that
when I have extra eggs, I have buyers, and the same is true for other
things I produce. Extra income is always welcome, as we are not
independently wealthy. I planted 4 varieties. I could have planted
only two varieties for good pollination, but I chose 4 as over the
years I've found that I like to have genetic diversity on the
homestead. Though they are self-fertile, crops are enhanced by
cross-pollination.

By many maps I am in Zone 5a here.