homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:55:51 EDT

> >Put the compost and calcium in the hole or top dress?

Doesn't matter much. John Seymour taught the practice of making a slurry out
of manure and mixing in a little garden lime with it and then dipping the
roots of the broccoli in that while planting.

Putting manure or compost or grouind calcium, no matter the source, on top
works just as well as putting it in the hole. The advantage of on top is
that
it acts as a mulch as well.

Another thing I've found that enhances any transplant (and I transplant just
about everything, beets, turnips, kale, spinach [but not carrots]) is to put
the transplant in the hole and then water it, letting the water carry the
dirt
around hte roots rather than doing it yourself.

>We may still have

> leftover oyster shell from when we kept poultry, otherwise it will have to
> be crushed egg shells or just compost (which had plenty of eggshells in it).

Oyster shell and egg shell are ideal.

</HTML>