homestead - [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:21:05 -0400

I cheated and bought broccoli plants to transplant. The year that I grew
broccoli from seed a few years back it was a miserable failure and I've
finally got the nerve to try broccoli again.

I want to give the broccoli plants a good start. I know they need collars
(toilet paper tubes cut up?) to avoid cut worms. These plants are a good 6
or 7" tall and the stems are half the diameter of a pencil. Do they still
need collars at this size? Soil amendments?

Also, the information I read about potatoes said to put some pine needles in
the ditch w/ the potatoes. We have those around, do you guys do this?

Thank you.

Lisa