homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:39:24 -0800

DH took a piece of PVC pipe and cut me a bunch of collars for stuff. They work great because they don't fall apart or knock over the plants when you are watering. You can shove them down in the dirt and they don't smush up on you.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

I cheated and bought broccoli plants to transplant. The year that I grew
broccoli from seed a few years back it was a miserable failure and I've
finally got the nerve to try broccoli again.

I want to give the broccoli plants a good start. I know they need collars
(toilet paper tubes cut up?) to avoid cut worms. These plants are a good 6
or 7" tall and the stems are half the diameter of a pencil. Do they still
need collars at this size? Soil amendments?

Also, the information I read about potatoes said to put some pine needles in
the ditch w/ the potatoes. We have those around, do you guys do this?