homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:48:48 EDT

> Not
> sure why, but there is a crossing of Bryant Creek about a mile from
> here named Nigger Ford. I have been unable to verify that perhaps it
> is so-called because a black family lived there.

'Nigger' is a creole anglicizaton of the Spanish 'negro' or perhaps the
French 'niger' which both simply mean 'black'. In the old parlance of the
South,
it is not a pejorative word. A species of pine here is called 'nigger pine"
because the wood is streaked in black and what is scientifically classified
as a
Black Oak is in the vernacular a "nigger oak".

Knowing that the word has become offensive since the time of the old South,
most people don't use it. But it is a bias on your part to think that the
person who named the crossing 'Nigger Ford' had anything but its color in
mind. </HTML>