homestead - [Homestead] the Civil war and Slavery in Missouri.

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] the Civil war and Slavery in Missouri.
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:01:38 -0700

I grew up in north central Missouri... My ancestors
were victims of civil war atrocities... It may be a
little simplistic to say that the physical results of
the civil war were only in the south..

I grew up in North East Missouri, a bit west of Kahoka.

There were Civil War battles, many even had real gunfire. California was a hot bed of successions and union feelings with several duels but no real battles. In Missouri, there was a battle in Athens, just across the Des Moines River in Clark County. It is now a state park.

There were many battles in Missouri. My Aunt was the live in curator at the Anderson House in Lexington, Missouri. There was a major battle there, known as the "Battle of the Hemp Bales."

As for slavery, Northern Missouri was not a good place for slave holders as slaves could easily cross over into Iowa. I grew up on the Dagg farm in Clark County. In the 1840s Dagg had slaves and they escaped to Iowa and a Quaker community known as Salem. The slave chasers threatened to blow the hoses down with a small cannon but the towns people resisted them. The case went to court and the slaves were freed. Daggs moved further south to keep his people in bondage.

Don Bowen KI6DIU