homestead - Re: [Homestead] Follow the Drinking Gourd

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:21:53 EDT

On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:42 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> In Thomas Jefferson's gardening and farm journals, he records the
> goings on
> of his "hands" as he invariably called them. They had a quota of
> work, in
> exchange for which they were provided with rations, clothes,
> housing, blankets,
> etc. When their quota was fulfilled, they were paid in cash for any
> work done
> beyond that.

Sounds humane, eh? The primary moral crime I see is that free human
beings in a foreign continent were captured and hauled by ship to
America where they were sold to the highest bidder. Stripped of their
homeland, their freedom, their personal integrity. No matter how well
eventual owners treated them, the entire operation was criminal by my
standards.

Exactly. Pragmatism doesn't cut it. When the basic premise is wrong, wrong,
wrong, nothing that follows can ever be right.

listings at AOL Autos.