homestead - Re: [Homestead] Follow the Drinking Gourd

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:12:11 -0500

On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:42 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

In Thomas Jefferson's gardening and farm journals, he records the goings on
of his "hands" as he invariably called them. They had a quota of work, in
exchange for which they were provided with rations, clothes, housing, blankets,
etc. When their quota was fulfilled, they were paid in cash for any work done
beyond that.

Sounds humane, eh? The primary moral crime I see is that free human beings in a foreign continent were captured and hauled by ship to America where they were sold to the highest bidder. Stripped of their homeland, their freedom, their personal integrity. No matter how well eventual owners treated them, the entire operation was criminal by my standards.