homestead - Re: [Homestead] Follow the Drinking Gourd

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:39:16 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

It is much like the question brough up about Europeans invading the new world. It did happen. Much is made about the removal of the Cherokee, which was an autrocity by any measure, but how many people know that at the time of the removal, the Cherokee had been in the Southern Appalachians only about 2000 years. They originally lived in the Great Lakes area and speak (it is a living language) an Iriqoian language.

I knew I knew!

In Bev's area they displaced Muskeegee
speaking people, but around here they displaced the previous inhabitants so thoroughly that no body even knows who they were. We have the pre Cherokee artifacts and evidence of a sudden disappearance, but apparently they were wiped out.

Right. We just know they were mound builders before.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky