homestead - Re: [Homestead] Traps for Carpenter Bees?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Traps for Carpenter Bees?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:42:20 -0800

I can vouch for the soda bottles working. We have tons of hummingbird feeders, so in the late summer we have a yellow-jacket problem. When we stop somewhere when we're traveling, we don't buy sodas but buy water. Youngest likes Fiji water and the yellow jackets seem to really like those bottles best. Guess it is the color and the flower designs on them. I cut little triangle holes about a third of the way up and then add hummingbird sugar water. I do drizzle a little on the outside as it seems they find the bottles sooner if there I do that.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roy Morgan" <k1lky AT earthlink.net>

I found some new ideas on catching yellow jackets:

This site describes two ways to use soda bottles:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hummingbird/
msg0905060132669.html
If you drink any kind of soda, zero cost.