homestead - Re: [Homestead] over-wintered vegetables

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] over-wintered vegetables
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:14:11 -0400

keith bellinger wrote:

A cabbage, a broccoli and several Brussels sprouts have survived our winter and I am thinking of leaving them for seed. Have any of you southerners done this? What can I expect? I have had broccoli go to seed in the fall before and saved seed from it but the others?

Also, I started asparagus from seed last spring and it fared well. When should I transplant it to a permanent bed? They are about six-inches tall now.

Wow, keith, give me a rundown on how you did the asparagus from seed...
I am also cultivating a few cabbages and broccolis that made it through the winter. I thought they were dead, but the chickens had just pruned them back to the main stalk. Now that the chickens are excluded from that area, lo and behold the plants are coming back. For me, it's a grand experiment, too.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky