homestead - Re: [Homestead] over-wintered vegetables

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] over-wintered vegetables
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:58:28 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I wish you could have helped too, I need help on that. So.... you have grown them as a spring crop and gotten tight heads?? I was beginning to put a lot of credibility in the fall crop idea from what I was reading. I'm trying it both ways ... all fourteen ways.

Yep, one of my first crops to go in. I prepared their bed today. But, that said, they are often still producing when everything else is pulled for the winter. I've had to brush the snow away to harvest them many a year. My best guess without going through journals is that they need cool temps.

You ever stake them?

Yes, I often stake them. I get great colossal plants ... all with miserable heads.

What do you use to tie them with?