homestead - Re: [Homestead] over-wintered vegetables

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] over-wintered vegetables
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:09:00 -0400

On Apr 25, 2008, at 9:13 AM, keith bellinger wrote:
Also, I started asparagus from seed last spring and it fared well. When
should I transplant it to a permanent bed? They are about six-inches
tall now.

Others will know better about transplanting time, but I can relate an asparagus story from my youth:

Dad wanted a few asparagus plants, so we got them from a nursery. We then went to a nearby dairy farm for a big bucket of manure. The farmer (father of one of my classmates) pointed out the best part of the pile to take from and gave us some advice. All with a straight face, of course:

He said to dig a hole bigger than we thought we needed, put lots of manure in the bottom, then a layer of dirt and plant the asparagus to the right depth. BUT, "You better stand aside when you plant it. 'Cause when that plant finds this manure down there, it's gonna grow so fast it will knock you over."

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180