homestead - Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:43:29 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Yes. It is obvious that the definition of manufacturing has changed substantially.

Today at work I had need to change the printer cartridge in the laserjet. It was a Hewlett Packard printer. When I opened the front of the printer, I happened to notice that it said "Assembled in the USA" and had an Idaho location. So while I had the thing apart, I began looking at parts...everything, was Made in China, including the new cartridge I was putting on.
I'm pretty sure that printer falls under the definition of manufactured in the US, but it was anything but that. Assembling foreign parts is not the same. But, I suppose, it is a minimum wage job for someone.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky