homestead - Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:49:12 -0800

Working in a factory, ie. breakfast cereal, sausage, has traditionally been called "food industry." Micky D's was termed "entry level, unskilled laborer." Both of these have been changed inorder to change the numbers so the flood of off-shoring doesn't show.

The same thing was done with how unemployment is counted. The *real* number of unemployed is almost double what is now reported.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I forgot to mention that my posted article does, in fact, give many
specific examples of real manufacturing, building cranes and such. I
do not recall that it referenced what we formerly called something
else, like even some parts of food processing, for instance. Perhaps
making sausage is now manufacturing food. Considering the ingredients
in breakfast cereal and many canned goods, naming the process
manufacturing is valid.