homestead - Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:41:55 -0500

On Apr 21, 2008, at 6:26 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

More news on manufacturing, this time current. This is an excerpt from
the article:

First, of course, the info in the article is equally interesting and useless.
As Lynda pointed out, not only are insurance policy writers and mortage
issuers now considered manufaturers, but burger flippers at McDonalds are also
counted as employed in manufacturing.

Yes. It is obvious that the definition of manufacturing has changed substantially. So perhaps it is time to stop talking about manufacturing jobs and just talk about jobs and wages and salaries, no matter what the job. Most of what I read says average wages are going down. Not sure how that gets stopped. Better education, better training, more encouragement for entrepreneurs and managers. An article yesterday talked of how China has a growing need for managers. Their social system extends into their business decisions, based on personal relationships and trust, and so their managers make weak business decisions. So an increasing "drain" will be our managers going where the jobs are. The only impediment seems to be needing to learn Mandarin to be fully effective.