homestead - Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:02:40 EDT

> We know what most humans want and what most Americans want. Want
> deprived becomes pain. Pain demands political help. Politicians want
> votes so they acquiesce as much as they can. So how to change human
> nature? Inevitability. Until a problem is hitting us over the head we
> Americans will not make meaningful changes. We will, as a society,
> strive for what we perceive is the best life for us and our children.
> For the majority, that means a paycheck. A paycheck means a job. I do
> not see a viable alternative.

This is all true. Unless we are hit over the head with a problem, we ignore
it ... hence the cooking of the numbers to convince ourselves that there is
plenty of fossil oil and we are all happily employed in manufacturing jobs.
And
it is equally true that we are indoctrinated to view a paycheck (or
entitlement check, or dividend check) as the only course of action, no
alternatives to
be seriously considered except winningthe lottery.

That hitting over the head, says I, is imminently close.

But recall the primary message of the Buddha. Human suffering does not arise
because we don't have things, but rather because we want them. To wit: to
my querries to my parents and grandparents as to why the Great Depression was
so bad, they answered, "Becuse no one had any money." But when I asked my
great-grandmother, she said "Lord, child, no body in these hollers ever had
any
money!" Her view was that the depression caused problems for her folk not
because it kept them from having money, but rather it convinced them that
they
OUGHT to have money.

Like that you had the Enron employee/investors wringing their hands that they
had lost half a million dollars when the company collapsed. Turns out they
had only invested $5000, the rest was fake inflation of the value of that
investment. Their unhappiness wasn't because they had actually lost half a
million
dollars, it was because the BELIEVED that they had money which didn't exist
in the first place.

And like that the people who told us we who did not have a mortgage on our
property were jealous because the home-debtor was making money hand over fist
from their appreciating houses are not now unhappy because their houses have
lost value, but rather because they imagined they were wealthy with dollar
bills
oozing out of the light sockets and spigots because their house was
increasing
in value.

We imagine that it is our God given right to leap into the saddle and go
wherever we will and that should only cost us 5% or so of our income, and we
can
all take few community college courses and all become Supervisors of
Muckification and Coordinators of Drivel and make the big bucks. We will not
suffer
because we don't have those things, but rather because we desire them.
</HTML>