homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:09:42 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

New Madrid was not an item that I considered when finding my ideal place.

Amazing.

But I have been happy to learn that the googolplex tons of
stone between there and here effectively absorb shock waves.

I think you are fooling yourself, but we've had this discussion before.

This
morning's quake was reported felt as far away as Milwaukee. I felt not a thing.

I'm glad to hear that. I didn't feel it either, but then, it would generally take a nuclear weapon to wake me up.

The real fear about New Madrid is that the population and number and size of structures built since the big ones of 1811-1812 mean that the destruction, if the same presumed Richter number of 7.5 to 8.0, would be catastrophic. It would dwarf the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, which killed nearly 2,000 people. It would, in fact, be the most deadly disaster in the history of the country. Even worse than the last seven years.

You have that nailed. I would dare say that millions of lives would be lost, maybe 1 million dead and 5 million homeless/jobless. It would be a real nightmare.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky