homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:24:12 -0500

On Apr 18, 2008, at 3:43 PM, VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

The quake woke up my son and d.i.l. We are about 310
road miles from the epicenter.
Some predictions are that a major one at New Madrid
could be worse than anything we've ever seen in Cal.
Soft ground would cause it to spread much further to a
dozen or so major cities that are not build for
earthquake protection.

New Madrid was not an item that I considered when finding my ideal place. But I have been happy to learn that the googolplex tons of stone between there and here effectively absorb shock waves. This morning's quake was reported felt as far away as Milwaukee. I felt not a thing.

The real fear about New Madrid is that the population and number and size of structures built since the big ones of 1811-1812 mean that the destruction, if the same presumed Richter number of 7.5 to 8.0, would be catastrophic. It would dwarf the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, which killed nearly 2,000 people. It would, in fact, be the most deadly disaster in the history of the country. Even worse than the last seven years.