homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:29:39 -0500

On Apr 18, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

This one woke me up. My first thought was to wonder how the guard dog
got under the bed to make it shake so. Then, of course, I realized it
was a quake. There seemed to be three shocks during the first quake.

Being awakened by one is for sure disconcerting. The Northridge quake damned near threw me completely out of bed. I tried to go down the hall and bounced from one wall to the other. We were in Redondo Beach, much too close to the epicenter. I was surprised more buildings did not fall.

Biggest thrill from a quake was Camp Zama, Japan, 1956. I was standing on a drafting stool working on a huge wall map. The guys said I did a good imitation of Elvis doing a hula hoop.

We can only hope that the New Madrid does not come apart during our lives. Be prepared.