homestead - [Homestead] Biomass Crop Supreme

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Biomass Crop Supreme
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:08:20 -0700

Yesterday I discovered Japanese knotweed. It has the softest stem for cutting, and one stalk grows to be huge! Today I researched it some online. It's not invasive in clay soil, nor does it sprout from seed in the north, or without pollination from a separate male plant. It's said to be capable to producing 25 kg of biomass to the square meter, of about 5 pounds to the square foot!

Bill
S. Oregon coast