homestead - Re: [Homestead] On work horses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On work horses
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:30:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I very rarely shop for horses, they appear at my door like dogs, cat,
kids, and men.

***How nice?

If your friends are going out and buying dinks, why don't you go with
them? Why on earth are they calling you and complaining?

***Now see, here is a problem so prevelant on the web. Folks just can't seem to read what is written and respond accordingly.

1) I didn't say friends. IF it had been friends, I would have gone with them.

I don't think there's anything a pedigree can tell me as much as x
rays and my own two eyes.

***Well, I'm sure it's nice to be clairvoyant. However, again, that is non-responsive to what I originally wrote. X-rays are extremely expensive. The average person isn't going to haul a proposed purchase to a vet to have them x-rayed.

Instead, one could do what I originally said, GO LOOK at the parents, grands and greats. Talk to other folks who have the same line. Something you can't do with a grade horse of UNKNOWN heritage.

Sorry, I just flat out disagree that it's worth buying a papered
working horse.

***Again, can we stick with what I said. I never said *papered* I said purebred. Something with a known history. There are lots of ranches that raise working horses from purebred stock. You can usually see generations of the same bloodlines and judge for themselves, well, except for you since you're clairvoyant, how the stock is as far as soundness and disposition is concerned.

But do go on buying Porches.

***Hey, you're the one with the Porche obsession. Personally, we stick with American made. DH's *toy* was a Corvette. <g>

Next time you're willing to spend money
on a horse to plow and trail ride with, call me.

***Why in the world would I go to you? For starters, I'll never need a horse to plow. It would take major earthmoving equipment to make a dent in the ground up here. Plus, if I want a horse for trail riding, which I don't and won't, I'd call up someone who has my own breeding stock and get a horse from a source *I* know (and trust) and bloodlines I know to be sound and reliable.

I have a nice bridge
I can sell you too.

***Ah, now we're into the old "shoe size" adage <g>