homestead - Re: [Homestead] housecleaning

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] housecleaning
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:33:11 -0500

I have had good luck with electric fence containing my goats, but only since
I added extra wires. I now have them spaced every six inches. I have the
fence very well grounded, having pounded in 8 foot copper grounding rods. I
have the wires stretched very taught. The fence now packs enough of a
whallop that they bleated pathetically when they tested it. I should
definitely "knock on wood" in saying my luck at containment is now good. :)

Barbed wire - I hate the stuff and will not use it on my place. Long ago I
had barbed wire on another homestead. It was very costly in terms of an
emergency vet call and a field surgery.

Gloria