homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:11:40 -0500

On Apr 16, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Would you care to add anything?

Just one thing, otherwise you have the straight of it. The other thing was
the belief that the old saws of "they ain't makin' any more land" and "people
have to have a place to live" had anything to do with the value of real
estate. They don't.

The laws of supply and demand most assuredly apply to land and housing as they apply to oil or food. Do you really not see that?

But the things you mentioned are the CAUSES of the bubble, not something
different from a bubble.

I agree. All the many causes combined to make the condition so stark.

I just don't like the term bubble. I like my John Cleese appraisal.

Do you think we are having a disagreement bubble or is this just business as usual?

It would be like someone positing that there is a world wheat shortage (which
many are indeed positing) and someone objecting that it isn't a wheat
"shortage" (don't like that word 'shortage') but rather a year of high wheat
consumption, rising population, lack of fossil fuel based fertilizer and farm machine
fuel, drought and bad weather, and more farmland taken out of wheat production
and used for biofuels. But it's not a shortage!

Those are causes of the shortage, not something other than a shortage. The
reasons you cite about housing are quite correct. They are CAUSES of the
bubble, not something other than the bubble. </HTML>