homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:19:21 -0400

On Apr 16, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Oil sales will go down. Doesn't matter what our preferences and 'druthers
are, it's a reality the world has to deal with. But food sales won't. The food
will be more expensive and of a different type (read a interesting article
about how the world is turning away from rice and wheat and to the potato), but
the sales of food will go unabated, the only alternative being malnutrition.

I'd argue that food sales will also go down, particularly with a lot of "value added food products" as people tighten their belts. Sure, its anecdotal, but in just the last year or so I've heard more and more people, particularly urban dwellers talk of joining community gardens or trying to grow things on building roofs, etc. If prices climb high enough and times get tough enough, this will have an impact on food sales.