homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:30:58 -0400

Marie, there are a lot of 'donkey folks' in these parts. I've thought about one, but am really a mule person :) There are quite a few draft mules in this neck of the woods, too, as well as a lot of folks with draft horses, mostly Belgians and Perchs.

But all the ones I know are working critters. Only a few of the ones I know are the burro type, most are what they call around here Mammoths, and they seem to be pleasing their owners OK. It's steep here in places and lots of woodworkers are dealing with house-sized rocks to work around. These big donkeys 'fit' better in the woods than the draft mules, but are considered to have good temperments for woodswork. Quite a few of them are used for field work, too, and general haul-and-tote sorts of chores. Handsome fellows, don't really have the sort of 'comic' look of the burro sorts. Saw just yesterday afternoon the guy up the road had his donkeys hitched to and pulling a small building on pipes. See plenty of them in hayfields. As to plowing, there's not a whole lot of heavy plowing here, mostly smallish plots (too hilly, too rocky), but certainly I have seen them plowing.

So they can make pretty good workers. The only thing I've heard about them that might be considered a negative is the comment that they "have to be started slow", in reference to training young animals. I've never really checked but I think they are referring to the same thing we see in mules: introducing things one at a time, waiting until critter understands what you want, not asking him to pull more than he's physically ready for, etc....one thing about a mule that everybody finds out in a hurry is that he won't do what he doesn't understand or think is safe, so the human adjusts to that, and you're both OK: I'd think that sort of thing is what they are referring to.

An aside: Sometimes I think we don't give these guys enough credit. Last year at Common Ground Fair (held by Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners, includes many demos of low-tech farming techniques, among plenty of other info) there were several teams of horses, horses singly hitched, and teams of mules working up the fields (there is a permanent demo farm there with many small plots to keep up) and some wise guy got the idea of working a bunch of strange mules together in some strange assemblage. Me muttering to self: no way. But hitch them they did, 12 strong, in widely varying bits of tack, and after one round in the field (20 min?) they all quit pitching heads and looking around, flapping ears, and just pulled into the task. These were parts of 4 separate teams that didn't know each other until then. Not a task I'd have taken on, especially with all the rest of the strange goings on: thousands of people milling about, thresher running, tractors in next field, kids darting and yelling (not in field of course, but well within sight/hearing), traffic (a lot of strange horses pulling wagons full of yakking people, tractors, combines, whatever) on road right beside the field where they were working, and a railroad only a couple of thousand feet away with engine/4 cars coming/going/shrieking every half hour or so. Plenty of distraction. But these guys just settled into task about right, very nice "crowd o' flesh", as the old timers say here.

Susan Jane, in Maine, where we can finally see open patches of ground although there's still plenty of snow about.