homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:16:12 -0500

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> As much as he'd like to, no, he's actually been required to earn his keep.
> He's done some modest packing and he's been ridden quite a bit. The only
> reason his work load is so light is due to lack of proper tack. The
> picture I
> found and forwarded shows the donkey with a collar like a horse.

Picture?

This doesn't
> work the best, a donkey needs a breast yoke.

Clearly, donkeys have no shoulders, and regardless, for any heavy
pulling a breast yoke would be necessary.

> Donkey tack is not for sale (except some very expensive pack saddles) and
> must be made by the homesteader. It all to easily takes a back burner.

I have lots to do in front of acquiring donkey tack, but these two
boys I have are sweet and willing. They might actually like a bit of
work.

> He (Peles) is an average sized donkey and can easily pack 250 lbs. I've
> been
> working on an improved pack to get him to pack firewood from the forrest.

These are big boys that I have. Should I have a saddle, I wouldn't
look silly riding either one (except for their initial, particular
reactions, which might be violent though I doubt it). Am I hearing you
correctly? Peles in another lover lump? Lucky you have a working
horse. :)

Marie