homestead - Re: [Homestead] Media decisionmaking on coverage of what's important

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Media decisionmaking on coverage of what's important
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:51:24 EDT

> This truly is scary stuff.

Bev, I just finished reading James Kunstler's (of Clusterfuck Nation fame)
new novel "World Made by Hand". [which I highly recommend] It takes place
in
2025 in a post oil world. Among other things that have changed the world,
they
have almost no wheat since a strain of wheat rust made most acreage unable to
grow it. Like any civilized people, althought the protagonists are Yankees,
they eat cornbread instead.

But reading about that wheat rust in the link you proffered was still a bit
too much of fiction becoming reality.

I've been keeping up with the growing problem of world grain shortage for
some time. It's like the dot-com collapse, the price of oil, the housing
bubble,
etc. Even with all the facts right in front of them as to what is inevitably
coming, most people find a way to be in denial. Alas, this one is no
different, except this time a lot of peopel could die.

We grow a little wheat but buy a lot more and that's usually once every three
years or so. This spring is wheat stocking time and it's 60% higher that it
was two and a half years ago (including transportation) and double what it
was
five years ago. Yet when we stash away the wheat, I bet we say to one
another in all too short a time, "Wow, do you remember when we bought this
wheat for
only $28 a fifty-weight!"

</HTML>